Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Whatever happened to Meryn Cadell?


Back in 1991 I was focused on being terminally hip. I had completed my first year of University, had just started dating someone who I thought was the man of my dreams (we had met when we were 11 and had been flirting for 7 years so I assumed he was the one. Obviously I was wrong as he became a stalker who spouted terms like "I am a lone wolf...we mate for life and you are the one". I evidently was in training to meet THE man of my dreams- a tall, dark handsome French Canadian who I am engaged to-YAY!). I had really big hair and had been accepted into the Acting Fine Arts program at the University, I was 18 going on 19 and I was COOOOL!

My then boyfriend was a music geek (my fiance is one as well...apparently that is a trait that attracts me). Because of him, I was introduced to some great artists through his endless production of mixed tapes for me and I was the lead singer in his band (sadly, this band was the worst in the universe. seriously. the worst.).
One of the artists he introduced me to was Meryn Cadell for her FANTASTIC girl anthem... The Sweater
Girls,
I know you will understand this
and feel the intrinsic incredible emotion
You have just pulled over your head the worn,
warm sweater belonging to a boy


Feeling nostalgic, I decided to explore the web and see whatever happened to Ms. Cadell.

Meryn Cadell is now teaching song lyrics at UBC and since 2003 has been living as a man and is the happiest he has ever been. GO MERYN GO!

Here is a very recent interview with him in the Torontoist. Apparently I was not the only one wondering "what ever happened to Meryn Cadell?"

2 comments:

Brand New W said...

WOW!!! Who knew?!! i remember The Sweater! 100% acrylic! So she's a He now? wow! Good for him! And I didn't know he was local! Let alone a Canadian!

sasskitty said...

I am a font of knowledge I am!!!